Monday, February 2, 2009

Ouch!

We had our first E.R required accident in our house this weekend for a child! We spent the day Saturday in La Crosse at a Railroad Show. Cameron just loves those things. Well, Rylan got a little impatient with walking through so slowly, so I walked ahead with him. We found on one a table a cute little Diego toy. He loves Diego and Dora! It was sort of like a hot wheels, except that it had Diego and a Tiger seated in the front seat... it was metal and that is why I bought it. They hold up so nice! Well, after the show we were leaving and were walking in the skyway to the parking ramp. Cameron and Rylan ran off ahead of us. Just as I yelled "stop at the doors" we heard a scream come out of Rylan. Our first thought was that he got his fingers in the door. But I knew the doors were extremely heavy and that he couldn't push them open. It's a straight corridor, with a little 5' corner jog at the ends that curves. The kids were just inside the curve when the accident happened. Rylan tripped and fell (which he does 50 times a day). From the best we can figure out, his head slammed into the Diego Jeep! At first I couldn't find anything wrong with him. I picked him up and we scrambled checking him over.... then I lifted his stocking cap. There was a huge gash right by his eyebrow! It was horrid! It began bleeding and a woman came off the elevator with her kids and offered me a alcohol free wipe. So we applied it and headed for the car. I knew urgent care was open, so we stopped there first. They called a nurse and she said it was "way too fleshy" and would require stitches. She walked us to the E.R. Rylan was screaming like crazy at this point... not because of the owie but because he knew where we were! We can't go to a simple doctor appt anymore with him because he thinks he's getting shots. Well, in this case he had reason to scream! We got the ER and the nurse came in. She started putting on a gel right away to numb the wound. The doctor came in 20 min or so later and the nightmare began. The nurse took Rylan from me and he screamed like I have never heard before. So much so nothing was even coming out anymore. They put his arm into this coat like thing that they wrapped around him tight about 6 times. Another nurse came in to hold his legs. He was kicking so bad he threw his shoes off. The nurse told me to sit down and I said I was fine. Then she said "NO, you NEED to sit down". So I did. Right after that I began to feel woozy and I realized why she made me sit down. I was sobbing with Rylan. It was horrible. Thank God it was over in a short time and we were on our way out. Total visit was less and an hour! John was in the car with Cameron. Cameron refused to get out. He would not come in. I found it good that he didn't want to see his brother in pain! Anyway, he's doing better today and is handling it like a pro.... which is scary! This kid will have many more E.R visits I'm afraid. He's just a daring, tough, tank of a kid! Although I am home with him today. Yesterday he developed a deep chesty cough with a fever. That is bothering him more than the stitches!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, poor little guy. At least in the eyebrow line it may not show later on. we have near major mishaps on a daily basis. I'm surprised we have only been to the emergency room once since Chloe and Chi came home!

Vanessa said...

Thank goodness for good medical care!! Glad to hear he's on the mend!!

Michelle said...

Poor little Rylan!!! I hope he's feeling better real soon! I bet you're dreading going back there to have the stitches removed :(

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Poor Rylan!!!
I hope heals and feels better soon!