Monday, January 26, 2009

Re-Adoption Day!

Thursday, January 15th, 2009 was our re-adoption day! Most people who know us but don't know much about this process have no idea what this means. The most common response is, your STILL NOT DONE? Can't blame them, I feel the same way! The things that we've had to do are almost ridiculous at times. The court hearing on this day we to basically to cross the T's and dot the I's in the State of Wisconsin. Our adoption was 100% finished and legal in Guatemala. There is a birth certificate on file there with our names on it, and Rylan's. So this formality is to get a State of Wisconsin issued birth certificate with all that same information, and to legally change his first and middle name. Could you imagine us trying to get a birth certificate from Guatemala every time he needed one in the future? I can't! Anyway, we have our post placement home visits with our adoption agency (the local one we used for our homestudy) and they gave us a glowing recommendation as parents. We did nearly the same thing with Cameron too. The only difference this time was in court I took the stand representing John and I. I was sworn under oath and answered a series of questions relating to us loving Rylan and being able to support him. You know, I almost wish biological parents has to go through some of this. There isn't anything that most people don't know about our lives now. We're an open book. You have to be to adopt! But you know what, it was worth it. Every agonizing moment from paperwork, to agency loss, to law changes, to you name it. Both my boys were worth every moment. I only hope that's the one thing they never doubt is how much we love them.

I have to admit, the picture on Adoption Day isn't just what I was hoping for. John has enough hair on his head and face you can hardly see him! Who can blame him, he works outside for hours on end in -30 degree weather! But still, you know what I mean. I felt like I had been drug behind a car. Rylan hadn't been feeling good and both kids were less than cooperative that morning. Rylan looks like he's about to punch the judge if he gets one step closer to us. At least Cameron and the judge look good! Oh well, that's the way it goes!

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Congrats on the last big step!!! Now yuo're finally done and I know that feeling is a great one!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Happy re-adoption day!